The Moravian-Silesian Research Library in Ostrava was founded under the name State Study Library in 1951 on the basis of a decree of the Minister of Education, Science and Art. From 1954 to 2000, it was called the State Scientific Library in Ostrava. From 1954 to 2000, it was called the State Research Library in Ostrava.
Reading room and information desk at 1950's.
In September 2001, its new name was approved - the Moravian-Silesian Research Library in Ostrava, now the Moravian-Silesian Research Library in Ostrava, a contributory organization. The library also took over the functions of the regional library and therefore, since 2002, it has placed great emphasis on regional functions and regional information. (currently cares for more than 400 regional libraries).
At the time of its establishment, it was specifically focused on mining and metallurgy in order to provide information needs of Bohemia and Moravia. The library collection was based on the sorted collection of the Technical Library of the Industrial Museum, gifts from the Technical University of Mining, the National Technical Museum in Prague, the Library of Technical Universities, Ministries and some enterprises. In the early years of its existence, the library's specialization was expanded to include Polonica. In addition to related technical fields, especially engineering, considerable weight has been attached to work hygiene and occupational medicine.
During its development, the library has been opening up to a still wider range of users. Granting the right for a legal deposit of Czechoslovak publications in 1964 and the pressure of the information environment contributed to the profiling of the universal fund of our research library, which has continued to this day.
Library at 1970's.
The library has faced the problem of insufficient and unsatisfactory space since its inception and throughout its development. Borrowing services and study places are located in the building of the New Town Hall, as well as a part of the storage space for the library collection. However, most of the fund is located in several external buildings in Ostrava, where it is brought daily according to the needs of the readers.
Library at 1970's.
Since 2004, a new library project has been in progress, resulting from the tender of the Moravian-Silesian Region for a building corresponding to the needs of modern library science. The new facility should cover all the library collections and services provided in one modern and timeless space, increasing the comfort of the library visitors and its employees.
After reconstruction at 2018.